Friday, February 3, 2017

Leadership Lessons

Leadership Lessons

Over the holidays, I received a book titled, Cigars, Whiskey and Winning:  Leadership Lessons from General Ulysses S. Grant.  I must admit that I am not a “history buff” and was unsure if I would enjoy the book.  Well, let me tell you, I do not just like the book I love the book.  Therefore, in this edition of my blog, I want to share some of my favorite "lessons" from the book.   

First, why is the book called Cigars, Whiskey and Winning?  This is due to Grant smoking constantly, Abraham Lincoln urging the removal of Grant because he drank too much, and Robert E. Lee hailing him a winner, but really, who was Ulysses S. Grant?  The book describes him as perceptive, a lifelong learner who learned from his own and others success and failures and someone who was skilled at seizing opportunities and boldly shattering paradigms. 

As I continue on the journey of becoming a better leader in order to lead the school district in the right direction for our students and staff I am hopeful that I can grow to attain more of Grant’s characteristics.  He was praised for his common sense, decisiveness, energy, self-control, self-confidence, and as a man who concentrated on contribution and service more than individual fame or glory.  Below are 5 of my favorite lessons from the book and what I learned from them.

1.  You can’t succeed if they don’t:   Leaders realize they cannot succeed if the people working with them are not successful.  Therefore, they EMPOWER the people and do everything they can to help insure their success. 

My Lesson:  I can’t do it all.  I must trust my staff and provide assistance when needed.   (I am a “doer” so this is a tough one for me, but I am working on it).

2. What matters is effectiveness, not style:  There is not perfect management style that suits all.  The best management style is the one you feel most comfortable with and the real focus should be on effectiveness, not style.

My Lesson:  I can certainly learn from others, but I don’t have to be exactly like another leader.  I need to do what feels comfortable and focus on being effective staying true to my ethics and morals.

3.  Keep your eye on the ball:  Avoid chasing after little successes, no matter how appealing.  Stay focused on achieving your primary objective. 

My Lesson:  I can’t be persuaded by the “shiny new toy” on the market or trying to imitate what another district is doing.  I must stay true to the needs of our district and the long-term goals and plans. 

4.  Cultivate a thick skin:  This will help you deal with unwanted criticism, which is likely to happen in leadership roles.  Go about your business without responding to critics.  Trying to explain reasons for your actions will not satisfy your critics, but only distract you from your work.

My Lesson:  If what I am doing is the right thing for students and the district then I can lay my head down at night knowing I have done my best.  I must be able to block out unnecessary criticism, but also know the difference between criticism that allows me to grow. 

5. Some projects need to wait:  It’s great when you take on multiple tasks, but there will always be some projects that need to wait until others are completed because working on them prematurely only wastes time and resources.

My Lesson:  I need to read this early and often.  I definitely struggle with patience and wanting to do too much at once. 


It was difficult to narrow this down to the 5 lessons I wanted to share. I encourage anyone wanting to strengthen their leadership skills to read this book.  It is certainly causing me to self-reflect and will hopefully make me a better person so that I can be an effective leader for Williamstown Independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment