Saturday, April 1, 2017

It’s April... and this is a Hodgepodge Blog

It’s April... and this is a Hodgepodge Blog

The calendar says April, which means several things.  First up is April Fool’s Day.  As an educator, I rejoice that this year the “holiday” falls on a Saturday. Even though I remember being young and so excited to trick my parents, sister, and friends I am excited our students will be plotting their pranks this year at home.  I read a book to some of our elementary students titled, April Fool! Watch Out at School! and enjoyed their excitement as they discussed their plans to fool others, which is why I reiterate, “Thank goodness this takes place on the weekend”. 

Two of my favorite events takes place in April.  One is The Master’s golf tournament.  I hope to set foot on Augusta National one day.  I am a golfer, which is probably why I enjoy it, but I REALLY enjoy it… like “Don’t speak to me on Sunday during the tournament” enjoy it.  Perhaps it’s because it is one of those events that is all about tradition.  It is special.  Honestly, it reminds me of our district and all the special events and traditions that will soon be happening on our campus as we wrap up the school year. 

My second favorite event is the Exit Project Presentations by our senior class.  Every April, our senior class students, as a requirement for graduation, must give a presentation about any topic of their choice.  This is an exceptional time for students to receive one on one time to reflect on their years as a student and discuss plans for their future.  It’s hard to give a description that gives it due justice, It is just one of those special events (The seniors don’t usually agree with that statement until their presentation is over). 

Okay, so maybe I have three favorite things that happen in April because spring break is just around the corner. Research suggests the brain does need some down time and I hope that during this time off our students and staff take get some much deserved down time.  I have a little R and R planned and know it will be just what is needed to come back and finish the school year strong. 

Speaking of finishing the school year, as I write this there are only 32 days of school left.  WHAT?  I guess it is true what they say, “Time flies when you are having fun”.  As I reflect on my first year as Superintendent, I can say with certainty that I have made mistakes, learned a ton, and had a ball.  The work is challenging, yet so rewarding.  I honestly work with the best staff and students. 

My birthday is also in April.  I am not a big fan of turning another year older, but I am so appreciative of another year spent with family, friends, colleagues, and students.  

If you have endured this Hodgepodge of a blog, bless you.  My mind is racing with a million things and I have found it difficult to focus. I plan to clear the mind over spring break, so perhaps the May blog will be a bit more put together. One can hope!! 


I wish you the happiest of Aprils!    

No comments:

Post a Comment