Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Month of Thanksgiving

It is hard to believe November is here. Each time I write a blog post, I am reminded how quickly the months fly by. It can be very easy to get caught up in all of life’s activities and forget to enjoy each moment. I have to constantly tell myself having a busy schedule means life is full. Every November, I reflect on my life and am reminded of the many things to be thankful for.
First, I am thankful to be a child of God. He has blessed me in ways greater than I could have ever imagined. I am thankful to attend a church that pushes me closer to the Lord in everything I do.
Secondly, I am thankful for my family. The loving atmosphere my parents created allowed me to live a dream childhood. My parents live in the county, which allows me to visit them often. They love their grandchildren dearly and are extremely active in their lives. I am grateful for their continued health and influence in my life. I didn’t really care for my older sister growing up, but now I cannot imagine life without her. As a fellow educator, it is so great to be able to seek advice from her professionally and personally. After four years of dating, I married the best husband 22 years ago. Since then, he has also been a great father to our two girls. Carly is a sophomore at Murray State, and Haley is a sophomore at Williamstown. Both of my girls are intelligent, determined, and full of life. They make life complete and I love them more than words can describe.  And to top it all off, my dog Bruno always welcomes me home with snuggles and a wagging tail.
I am also thankful for my career. I have been granted opportunities I never imagined when I began teaching. There are endless amounts of people to thank for mentoring me into the educator I am today. I had a wonderful time with students in the classroom and it is so rewarding to see my former students starting a career, marriage, and/or family. I have worked with amazing colleagues who have a “students first” mindset. The amount of knowledge I have learned from them is incredible. We truly have the best and brightest students. They always fill me with pride and bring a smile to my face. How many people can honestly say they love their job? I know I can!
Before my breast cancer diagnosis three years ago, I took my health for granted. Today, I view my health as a valuable gift. Each healthy day is one to give thanks.  I  was able to beat cancer with the help of doctors, loved ones, and a supportive community.
Finally, I am thankful to be an American. As I celebrate Veterans Day each year, I am thankful for the many great men and women who have sacrificed time, family, and lives so that I may experience freedom. I am reminded of the service of my father, who is a true American and loves this nation so well. I can’t imagine living in any other place in the world.
Do you ever just stop, look at the people around you, and reflect on life? Do you every look at the sunset in awe? Do you put the phone down and enjoy a real conversation with a loved one? Do you take time to enjoy the simplest things in life? I encourage you to take a break from the busyness and reflect on what you are thankful for.

And when you do, I am certain you will see why it takes a whole month to celebrate the many blessings in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment